The inductees are select individuals who have â€œdemonstrated dedication and commitment to the growth of the restaurant and food service industry in Hawaii, contributed to the enhancement of its quality and image, and demonstrated service through outreach.â€
The Hall of Fame was the brainchild of then director Gail Ann Chew. Current Hall of Fame program chair Anne Lee said:
The Hall of Fame was to honor all of the old time restaurants. In the past,Â when you thought of Hawaii and food, you would always remember certain restaurants that you had gone to frequently.Â How can anyone forget localÂ institutions like Columbia Inn, Flamingos, Kings Bakery, Wo Fat, Hamura Saimin, Manago Hotel, Tip Top, and the list goes on and on, or people like Lyle and Grace Guslander and so many more people who shaped Hawaii’s culinary landscape.
Many of these iconic restaurants are no longer here, this Hall of Fame was created to remember and honor the pioneers that have paved the way for many in our industry today. Â September 19th, 2016 Â marks a decade of honoring these leaders.
The event will feature a “Chefs of Aloha Dine-Around,”Â emceed byÂ Kanoa Leahey and guest presenters Chef Alan Wong and Honolulu Magazine Food Editor Catherine Toth-Fox.
Proceeds will benefit the HRA Scholarship Program at the University of Hawaii Community Colleges.
The 2016 Hall of Fame Inductees:
- Mark Shishido – Wine Director Alan Wong’s
- Dr. John Morton – VP for UH Community Colleges
- Edward Doty – Eagle Distributors/JMD Beverages
- Alicia and Raymond Kam – Alicia’s Market
- Mel and Lynn Tanioka – Tanioka’s Seafood and Catering
- David Nagaishi – Ocean House, Pounders at PCC (Deceased)
- Jacqueline Lau – Roy’s Hawaii
- Bob and Christine French – Brennecke’s Beach Broiler
- Aaron Placourakis – President / CEO Tri Star Restaurant Group, JAS Restaurants & AMP Restaurants, LTD.
- Debra Ching Maiava and Ric Maiava – Ken’s House of Pancakes
- Zippy’s (FCH Enterprises) – 50th Year Anniversary
- Aloha Shoyu – 70th year Anniversary
The “Dine Around” will feature chefs from the past nine years:
- 2016 – Chef Mark Noguchi – MISSION Social Hall & CafÃ©
- 2015 – Chef Freddie Billena – PÅmaika’i Ballrooms
- 2014 – Chef James Aptakin – MAC 24/7
- 2014 – Chef Ken Mackenzie – Tommy Bahama
- 2014 – Chef Marc Anthony Freiberg – Mariposa
- 2013 – Chef Jesse Cruz – Lucky Belly and Livestock Tavern
- 2013 – Chef Cyrus Goo – CafÃ© Laufer
- 2012 – Chef Long – Prima
- 2011 – Chef Roger Dikon – Regency Culinary Services and HRC founding chef
- 2010 – Chef Goran Streng – Tango Contemporary CafÃ©
- 2009 – Chef Matt Young – Hula Grill
- 2009 – Chef Keith Kong – Duke’s Waikiki
- 2008 – Chef Chai Chaowasaree – Chef Chai’s
- 2007 – Chef Russell Siu – 3660 on the Rise / Kaka’ako kitchen
About The Hawaii Restaurant Association
The Hawaii Restaurant Association (HRA) is a 501(c)(6) non-profit trade organization, together with the National Restaurant Association and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation, is dedicated to representing, educating and promoting the restaurant, food service, hospitality and tourism industries. The HRA provides access to the support and resources that industry professionals need to maintain a thriving business and serves as a contributing member of the unique and diverse restaurant community here in Hawaii.